Saturday, July 17, 2010

I hiked into the Yellowstone River today in the park from the Rescue Creek trail across the Gardner River. Awesome day, did not see another sole all day. The fish were willing to eat the big dry today, but I did catch two on the dropper. Caught a brown, rainbows, cutbows, and yellowstone cutthroats today. I threw a amy's ant that I tied that was black and orange. Saw a few big Salmon Flies today, but mostly saw lots of tan caddis. First time I ever fished this part of the river, it was really nice and wild. Hiking from the Gardner river over to the Yellowstone there where plenty of hoppers allready. I guess the plague has started. I predict the hopper fishing will be great from now till October. Here are a few of the sights from today:

Cuttie with his mouth full with my fly.

Elk skull along the Yellowstone



Nice day along the Yellowstone down from the Black Canyon.



2 comments:

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

That looks so frigg'n rad there. Salmonflys are just coming out? Wish I was there....

Chris Scott said...

The Salmon flies are about done now, you can still probably find some though on the upper yellowstone above the falls. It's hopper time now, it seems crazy, but they are out in force, big plague year they say. Devun is with his mom, so I'll be trying to get as many days on the water as I can.