Sunday, May 8, 2011

Yellowstone River Pre-runoff

Fished the Yellowstone yesterday, probably the last time before it blows. There were a few caddis coming off but not the typical floating mats of caddis with fish rising everywhere. Saw some aggressive rise forms signs of the fish were onto the emergers. I had a couple nice fish grab my soft hackle caddis on the swing that I was stripping in with short strips. My best fish a seen below took a size 10 tan wooly bugger I had above the caddis. It was a nice night just wade fishing for a couple hours before the sun set below carter's bridge. I guess at this point I hope it cools off some so maybe we could have some more pre-runoff fishing. If not I will have to join the crowds and hit some of SW Montana's tailwaters.




5 comments:

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Good to see you got out. Should have some G-6 caddis, just swing by mountain hardware and get some.

Chris Scott said...

If I was going to stop by Mountain hardware I would probably grab at least 2 dozen of some Buddy Hollies. You can't find those flies anywhere around here. You have to show me a picture of the G-6 caddis, I'll just poach the pattern from your picture. Is it on your web page? Hope the runoff is treating you well. It is just starting to ramp up here.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

That's funny...Buddy Hollies they fall apart on your backcast. The run off sucks and I'm drinking way to much and doing way to many honey do's.

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

Sick dude.

Bigerrfish said...

Awesome post!... I know all to well how tough that fishing can be and how cold it can turn... Love getting busted up by a big brownie in that there JellyRock.